Enforcing Your Rights Under the FMLA

The federal Family Medical Leave Act allows employees who work for large employers to take time off from work to care for serious health conditions, the birth of a new child, or to take care of a family member with a serious health problem. The employee has the right to get his or her own job back after the leave is over.

If you were not given your job back after FMLA leave or you believe you are entitled to FMLA leave and your employer has refused it, you may have grounds for filing an administrative complaint with the Department of Labor or filing a lawsuit, or you can try to negotiate a settlement. Bringing a lawyer in to help you assess your options and negotiate on your behalf is a good way to protect your rights under the law. Here's information on what you can get out of an FMLA claim or lawsuit and how to find a lawyer to help you.

How old are you?

Talk to a Disability Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you