Filing for Disability in Texas: Social Security and SSI

The wait times for ALJ hearings in Texas for Social Security and SSI disability benefits are shorter than the national average.

By , Contributing Author
How old are you?

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and SSI disability benefits are provided through the federal government, but the disability determination process differs in each state. In Texas, after you apply to Social Security for disability benefits and your application is reviewed by the Social Security Administration (SSA) field office, your application is sent to the Texas Department of Health and Human Services, Division for Disability Determination Services (DDS). It is here that a disability specialist is assigned to your case to make a decision regarding whether or not you will receive disability benefits.

What are my chances of winning disability benefits in Texas? What is the average wait time?

In Texas, in 2018/2019, 33% of disability applicants were approved after the initial application was filed, compared to about 35% nationally. At the first level of appeal, the reconsideration, the Texas DDS approved 13% of claims.

At the disability hearing level (the second level of appeal), you have a slightly better chance at winning benefits in Texas than nationally, ahd the wait time to get a hearing is significantly less. In Texas, you will wait an average of 14 months for a hearing, while the national average is 18 months. Your chance of having your disability claim approved is 48%, while your chance of being denied benefits are 52%. If you are represented by a disability lawyer, your chances of winning increase.

Stage of Application

Texas

Nationally

Initial Application

33%

35%

Reconsideration Review

14%

13%

Appeal Hearing

48%

45%

Hearing Wait Time

14 months

18 months

If I am awarded disability benefits, how much can I expect to receive in Texas?

How much you receive as a disability benefit depends upon the type of benefit you qualify for. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) award amounts depend on the amount that you paid into the Social Security system while working. In contrast, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a needs-based benefit, and monthly payments are set by the federal government. For SSI, an individual will receive $771 per month and a couple will receive $1,157 per month (in 2019). These amounts are based on those individuals who have no countable income.

In addition, each state has the option of paying an additional monthly amount to individuals receiving SSI who reside in their state. In Texas, if you are residing in a Medicaid facility, such as a nursing home, you are eligible to receive up to $60 from the State of Texas on top of your payment from the federal government. (Couples who are living in a Medicaid facility will be considered two individuals once they have lived together for more than 30 days in the Medicaid facility.)

SSI recipients living independently don't receive a state supplementary payment from the State of Texas.

How can I contact the Texas DDS where my claim was sent?

Texas has a central DDS office that handles all cases that are approved at the Social Security field offices. Once your application is filled, all questions should be directed to the central office:

Division for Disability Determination Services
P.O. Box 149198, Austin, TX 78714-9198
Telephone: (512) 437-8000 or (800) 252-7009

How can I contact the hearing office in Texas where my disability hearing will be held?

Texas has several Offices of Hearing Operations (OHOs), formerly the Offices of Disability Adjudication and Review.

The Regional Hearing Office (Region 6) that covers Texas is located in Dallas:

SSA, Office of Hearing Operations
Suite 460
1301 Young Street
Dallas, Texas 75202-5433
Telephone: (214) 767-9401
Fax: (214) 767-9407

There are also 8 local hearing offices that service the state of Texas.

The following OHO services the following field offices: Austin, Corsicana, Fair Park, Oak Cliff, Georgetown, San Marcos, South Austin, Temple, and Waco

Downtown Dallas HO
Harwood Center, Suite 2300
1999 Bryan Street
Dallas, TX 75201
Telephone: (866) 563-3885
Fax: (214) 880-9869

The following OHO services the following field offices:Dallas-North, Denton, Greenville, Longview, McKinney, Mid-Cities, Palestine, Paris, Pleasant Grove, Mt. Pleasant, Sherman, Tyler, and Waxahachie

Dallas North HO
Building 9, Suite 500
12790 Merit Drive
Dallas, TX 75251
Telephone: (866) 331-7135

The following OHO covers: Abilene, Big Spring, Brownwood, Cleburne, Fort Worth, Fort Worth - South, Lubbock, Odessa, Plainview, and San Angelo

Fort Worth HO
Federal Office Building, Room 9A27
819 Taylor Street
Fort Worth, Texas 76102
Telephone: (866) 613-2744
Fax: (817) 978-4961

The following OHO covers the following field offices: Angleton, Galveston, Houston-Northwest, Houston-Southwest, Pasadena, and Victoria

Bissonnet Houston HO
9945 Bissonnet Street
Houston, Texas 77036-8203
Telephone: (866) 779-5456
Fax: (713) 349-7380

This OHO covers the following field offices: Beaumont, Brenham, Bryan, Conroe, Houston-Downtown, Houston-Northeast, Houston-Southeast, Lufkin, and Port Arthur

North Houston HO
4015 Aldine Bender Road
Houston, TX 77032
Telephone: (877) 850-7829
Fax: (713) 209-3262

The following OHO services Brownsville, Harlingen, McAllen, and Mission:

Rio Grande Valley HO
2009 West Jefferson Avenue
Suite 200
Harlingen, TX 78550
Telephone: (877) 452-6985
Fax: (956) 364-0815

This OHO covers: Alice, Corpus Christi, Eagle Pass, El Paso, Kerrville, Laredo, San Antonio, and Seguin

San Antonio HO
10222 San Pedro Avenue

San Antonio, TX 78216
Telephone: (855) 829-8915
Fax: (210) 733-8054

This OHO covers the Amarillo, Pampa, and Wichita Falls field offices:

Oklahoma City HO
301 NW 6th Street
Suite 300
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73102
Telephone: (866) 701-8094
Fax: (405) 231-5142

If you want legal help, you can visit our Texas disability lawyer page to find a lawyer in Texas who can help you with your disability claim.

Are there any vocational resources available to me if I need job retraining?

Texas offers vocational rehabilitation services through the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC). Individuals may apply to receive vocational rehabilitation services with TWC. Call (800) 628-5115 for more information, or go to TWC's list of vocational rehabilitation services offices.

Talk to a Disability Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Boost Your Chance of Being Approved

Get the Compensation You Deserve

Our experts have helped thousands like you get cash benefits.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you