Can I Get Social Security Disability for a Ruptured or Slipped Disc?


I've had severe lower back pain for the last month and my doctor says I have a ruptured disc. Can I get Social Security disability benefits?


The phrase ruptured disc, or slipped disc, is seen quite frequently on Social Security disability and SSI disability applications. As most people age, they tend to develop a certain degree of degenerative joint disease in either the lumbar, thoracic, or cervical back area. This natural deterioration that seems to closely follow the aging process may predispose a person to a ruptured disc.

What is a ruptured, or slipped, disc? A ruptured disc is one that has been pushed out of its normal position between two vertebrae, causing it to impinge on one or more nerves. A ruptured disc is also known as a bulging disc, a herniated disc, or a prolapsed disc. For information on when you can disability for a ruptured disc, see our article on Disability Benefits for a Bulging or Herniated Disc