- Collecting Disability Payments: The Social Security Representative Payee
- How to Handle Large Payments of Disability Back Benefits
- How Is a Representative Payee Chosen for Social Security Payments?
- Fees and Accounting Requirements for Individual and Organizational Representative Payees
- Why Was a Representative Payee Assigned for Social Security Disability?
When disability recipients can't manage their money, whether due to mental incapacity or alcohol or drug addiction, Social Security will appoint a representative payee to receive the disability checks and pay for the recipient's expenses. Parents of children receiving SSI are also representative payees (unless they are judged incapable of managing the money wisely).