Representative Payees for Social Security Disability

When disability recipients can't manage their money, whether due to mental incapacity or alcohol or drug addiction, Social Security will appoint a representative payee to receive the disability checks and pay for the recipient's expenses. Parents of children receiving SSI are also representative payees (unless they are judged incapable of managing the money wisely).