How Is a Representative Payee Chosen for Social Security Payments?


I've heard I'll need someone to receive and cash my SSI checks for me. Can I choose this person, or does Social Security force me to use a certain payee?


The Social Security office handling a claimant's case may decide that a benefit payee (representative payee) is required, or this recommendation may be made by the administrative law judge (ALJ) in the Notice of Decision after an appeal hearing has been held.

A Social Security recipient who has been notified that a representative payee will be needed can propose his or her own payee and go with that individual to their local Social Security office. The payee can be a friend, relative, or family member. The proposed payee cannot have felony convictions and must have a means of support, which can either be a form of employment or even a monthly benefit, such as a Social Security retirement benefit or a Social Security disability benefit. If you don't propose a payee, Social Security may choose a payee from an organization that employs payees.

Learn more about why and how representative payees are assigned.

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find lawyers near you.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys
This space intentionally set to be hidden.